LEMON FACTS AND BENEFITS
- Lemons are antibacterial and antimicrobial.
- They are anti-inflammatory and can help relieve pain and soothe bug bites.
- Lemons are a known bactericide and insecticide.
- Fresh lemons function as an astringent (great for re-acidifying your skin's acid mantle).
- As you probably know, lemons also act as a diuretic (increases the amount of urine excreted by the body).
- They relieve constipation and flatulence (I know, so lovely).
- They promote healing of skin and tissues.
- Lemons are a powerful purifier for the body, organs, and even the air!
- Lemons can help to reduce fever and increase perspiration.
- They help to expel worms and other parasites from the intestines.
- Their oil is refreshing and strengthening. It is a potent mental stimulant and improves memory.
- The essential oil is also balancing and calming. It lifts the mood and balances the nervous system, relieving anxiety.
- Lemon contains powerful antioxidants and over 22 anti-carcinogenic nutrients.
- Lemon, though acidic, has an alkalizing effect on the body.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Aids in the detoxification of the liver and kidneys.
- Inhaling lemon essential oil can help relieve nausea and motion sickness.
- Lemons are an excellent source of electrolytes and nutrients - they contain magnesium, potassium, and calcium and are high in many other nutrients. (They actually contain more potassium than some other fruits like grapes and apples!)
- Cautions: You should only drink diluted lemon juice--the acid in the juice can be damaging to tooth enamel. Lemon essential oil is also phototoxic and should not be applied to skin before the skin is going to be exposed to the sun or to UV rays from tanning salons. Check with a doctor before using lemon if you have a serious illness, are pregnant, or before using on a child. Of course, if you are allergic to lemons, I do not suggest using them at all.
MY FAVORITE WAY TO USE LEMON
Lemons may be acidic, but they have an extremely alkalizing effect on the body. Sickness and cancer cells can only live in an acidic environment, so keeping our bodies alkaline is a powerful tool we can use for our overall health. I love starting my morning with a glass of lemon water. It's the perfect way to kick-start my body for the day. It cleanses the body, helps my liver and kidneys start their work day, gives me energy, and boosts my mood!
I recommend mixing the juice of one lemon in a glass of water (or 2 cups, if you want it a little more diluted) with a pinch of cayenne upon rising. This timing works best for me because I can drink it before I shower and be able to wait the allotted 20 minutes before brushing my teeth (experts suggest waiting 20 minutes to brush teeth after consuming lemon so as not to harm tooth enamel). You can always add a bit of raw honey, which also contains some powerful antioxidants and bad-cell-fighting properties, to sweeten it up a bit.
Alternative option: If you don't have access to fresh lemons, or want a faster option for daily use, I recommend the lemon essential oil from Veriditas Botanicals. It's imperative that you use only organic, therapeutic grade essential oils for internal consumption. Read more about their lemon oil here.
OTHER WAYS TO USE LEMONS
- Replace toxic household cleaners with homemade cleaners that use lemon as the antibacterial agent.
- Apply lemon juice to bug bites to utilize the anti-inflammatory properties of the lemons and soothe the bites.
- Use lemon to repel unwanted pests in the garden.
- Make a fresh lemon facial toner.
- Use fresh lemon as a spot treatment for acne and age spots.
- Make a homemade bug repellant for those evenings on the front porch.
- Use lemon essential oil (organic, therapeutic grade only) to relieve mental fatigue and improve work efficiency and memory.
- Diffuse lemon essential oil (use a no-heat method) to purify the air, refresh, energize, and uplift mood.
- Make something yummy.
- Use lemon essential oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, and coconut oil to improve blood circulation and reduce cellulite. Mix up a batch and massage it into the skin before showering! (Dry brushing is also excellent for improving circulation and thus eliminating cellulite. Add it to your routine for even more anti-cellulite benefits.)
- Include lemon in your blending and juicing recipes.
- Cook with lemon juice and/or lemon zest.
- Make lemonade!